I think you may have all realised by now that I absolutely adore chocolate orange, it is by far my favourite flavour combination so I do bake with it a lot! These were made for a Macmillan coffee morning at my work and were really nice with the chunks of chocolate orange in them as well as a segment on top.
I used an 11 inch x 11 inch tin for these, and it made about 20. However if you halve the mixture, you can use an 8 inch x 8 inch tin instead (or any other size and adjust the amount of ingredients).
- 220g Dark Chocolate
- 220g Butter
- 4 Eggs
- Zest of 2 Large Oranges
- 450g Golden Caster Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 120g Plain Flour sifted
- 4 tbsp Cocoa Powder sifted
- 250g Terry’s Chocolate Orange
- (Optional) Extra Terry’s Chocolate Orange, or mini Terry’s Chocolate Orange for decoration
- First things first, line your baking tin with grease-proof paper and preheat your oven to 180°C or 170°C for a fan oven. At this point I usually like to grate my oranges so that the zest is ready to go, and chop up the 250g of Terry’s chocolate orange into chunks so that it is all ready.
- Put the butter and dark chocolate into a large bowl (you will be adding all the rest of the ingredients in later), and heat in the microwave until melted. I heat it in 20-30 second bursts to try and avoid burning the chocolate. Alternatively you can use a bain-marie if you’d prefer.
- Once it’s melted, let it cool a little before adding the eggs. Add them one at a time and make sure to beat each one in very well.
- Now add the golden caster sugar and again make sure to beat it very well. I spend a good few minutes beating this in to try and get it fairly smooth instead of grainy.
- Add the salt and the orange zest and mix through thoroughly. Then add the flour and cocoa powder and mix it just enough so that it’s all incorporated.
- If you haven’t already done so, chop up the 250g of Terry’s chocolate orange into rough chunks and add them to the mixture. Stir in again until they are just fully incorporated.
- Now you can pour the mixture into the prepared baking tin and smooth it out. It may be quite a thick mixture! At this stage you can decorate with either mini segments, full size segments, more chunks, whatever you wish.
- Bake in the oven for around 25 minutes. When you take these out of the oven, let them fully cool in the tin before removing them. Then chop them up into as many slices as is desired!
And there you have it, a deliciously gooey Terry’s chocolate orange brownie with chocolate orange chunks! Let me know if you have a go yourself – Happy Baking!